Just-Pics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every picture tells a story.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Abraham Lincoln: Its time to celebrate his Annual Remembrance holiday to will be held around several states in the United States

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

cresteb

cresteb

Abraham Lincoln: Its time to celebrate his Annual  Remembrance holiday to will be held around several states in the United States See_mr11

Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809, in Hardin County, Kentucky (now LaRue County). He had a very religious upbringing.  His family were baptists.   They attended a Baptists church that had strict moral standards, and resist from drinking  alcohol, dancing, and taking part in slavery.

The program on the 208th anniversary of the birth of the 16th president will include a performance of early-American songs Lincoln enjoyed, according to event chairman Jack De Merit. Birthday cake will be served at the conclusion of the remembrance. Admission and parking are free.

The event began in 1993 when the late retired television lighting technician Duke Russell learned there was no celebration planned in Los Angeles for Lincoln’s birthday and went to the Hollywood Bowl to deliver the Gettysburg Address in front of his daughter, Los Angeles Times columnist Jack Smith and an otherwise empty facility.

Currently, the Lincoln holiday is celebrated unofficially nationwide, as part of what many states call Presidents Day, which falls on Monday, February 20 this year.
 Abraham Lincoln: Its time to celebrate his Annual  Remembrance holiday to will be held around several states in the United States Slaver10

Abraham Lincoln was born in a one-room log cabin, on Sinking Spring Farm near present-day Hodgenville, Kentucky. (The original cabin was destroyed by the time of Lincoln’s death in 1865.)   There were efforts  after Lincoln’s death to get this birthday recognized as a holiday, but there has never been a federal Lincoln-birthday holiday.

Experts have confirmed that Abraham Lincoln wrote notes in a book that justifies racism and we've seen these quotes.  whether he wrote those or not we're still not sure we only know that through his critical thinking  he managed to secure the freedom of slaves.

Here are some of his best quotes.

"Both read the same Bible, and pray to the same God; and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces; but let us judge not that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered; that of neither has been answered fully."

From the March 4, 1865, Inaugural Address

“Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves”
From the April 6, 1859, letter to Henry Pierce

"I am naturally anti-slavery. If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong."

"This is a world of compensations; and he who would be no slave, must consent to have no slave."
From the April 6, 1859, letter to Henry Pierce

Giving Freedom to the Slave

In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free - honorable alike in what we give, and what we preserve. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth. Other means may succeed; this could not fail. The way is plain, peaceful, generous, just - a way which, if followed, the world will forever applaud, and God must forever bless.

Paramount Object in this Struggle
My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause
He changed his mind later OP. He said very positive things about blacks during the Civil War in his letters.

Slavery is founded in the selfishness of man's nature -- opposition to it is in his love of justice. These principles are an eternal antagonism; and when brought into collision so fiercely, as slavery extension brings them, shocks, and throes, and convulsions must ceaselessly follow. Repeal the Missouri Compromise -- repeal all compromises -- repeal the declaration of independence -- repeal all past history, you still can not repeal human nature. It still will be the abundance of man's heart, that slavery extension is wrong; and out of the abundance of his heart, his mouth will continue to speak.

I care about his actions. He ended slavery. It is better for a man to reveal his ugly truth and set you free, than for a man to reveal his  pretty lies and keep you trapped.

We've read controversial notes over the years questioning his motives. We do not know for sure what his intentions were, but we do know that people that were held and forced to work  in deplorable and distressing working environments just wanted to be set free.  He helped to set the captives free and that all that matters.

By
V.G.

Books about Lincoln that readers might be interest in

Abraham Lincoln: Its time to celebrate his Annual  Remembrance holiday to will be held around several states in the United States Index10
 Abraham Lincoln: Its time to celebrate his Annual  Remembrance holiday to will be held around several states in the United States 10763310
 Abraham Lincoln: Its time to celebrate his Annual  Remembrance holiday to will be held around several states in the United States 62133111

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum